Home HVAC Care
Extend the Life of Your Luxaire® HVAC System
Modern home heating and cooling equipment relies on a number of interconnected parts and systems, but there are a few, simple things you can do to help protect it. But first, consider the age of your system. If your AC or heat pump was installed more than a decade ago or your furnace more than 12 years ago, think about reaching out to your Luxaire® Contractor. They can help evaluate if it's time for a new, higher efficiency system.
Indoor Air Quality Equipment Care
- Read the manufacturer's instructions for air filters in air handlers/furnaces and replace or clean them accordingly. Some air cleaners need a filter replacement only once a year, while others may require more frequent changes.
- Make sure the pans and coils of your humidification/dehumidification units are clean and free of debris. Maintaining appropriate humidity levels can minimize airborne allergens.
- Clean return grills consistently to keep dust and debris from collecting in ducts and blocking filters.
- Look for holes, loose tape or separated sections in ducts around your air handler. They can allow outside air to leak in and affect the performance of your system.
- Consider scheduling an indoor air quality test for your home to check for any issues.
- Avoid negative air pressure from pulling pollens and allergens into your home by confirming your air system is balanced. A dedicated ventilation system can create positive pressure by bringing filtered outside air in.
Air Handler Care
- Check for holes, loose tape or separated sections in ducts around the air handler. These leaks can disrupt your system's airflow.
- Change your air handler filter monthly to minimize airflow obstructions, which can waste energy by making your system operate less efficiently.
Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Care
- Clear anything away from grates that supply air to each room as well as the return grates (usually bigger and located in a hallway). This allows the airflow to move more evenly and more easily throughout your home.
- Remove plant matter and debris from your system's outdoor condenser unit grille. If the inside of the unit is dirty, call your contractor. They have the tools and skills to power wash the unit properly.
- Check attic and crawl space ducts for holes, loose tape or separated sections that can affect airflow.
- Allow at least two feet of clearance around the outdoor unit. Cut back any plants or shrubs, as needed.
- Set the thermostat mode to cooling (and heating for heat pumps) to ensure it's operating. If you hear any unexpected noises, call your contractor.
- Change your air handler filter monthly to minimize airflow obstructions and wasted energy.
- Confirm the condensate line is clear to permit liquid runoff.
- Schedule yearly system maintenance with your Luxaire® HVAC contractor.
Gas Furnace Care
- Check that your furnace completes a normal cycle from start-up to shutdown. Watch the thermostat reading to make sure the system shuts off when it reaches the high temperature set point. If it shuts off before it reaches the high set point, call your contractor. It's probably experiencing a short cycling issue.
- Clear away everything near the grates that supply air into each room, as well as large return air grates.
- Remove obstacles around your furnace and safety switch on the furnace door.
- Look for rust or gaps on the vent connections in the exhaust pipe and chimney.
- Check that your carbon dioxide monitor is working properly and has new batteries.
- Change furnace filters each year.
The Benefits of Consistent HVAC Care
Lengthen your system's life and save energy by regularly completing a few easy maintenance tasks.
Small Steps to Begin Regular HVAC Care
- Clean vents and keep them clear.
- Replace air filters per manufacturer specifications.
- Clear debris from outdoor units.
- Pay attention to unusual system noises.
- Ask your Luxaire® HVAC Contractor to help set up a regular maintenance schedule.
Speak with an Expert
Our Certified Comfort Experts are highly trained in home heating and cooling needs, and can provide you with a personalized solution that's right for your home.Schedule a Home Consultation
Find out how to get replacement parts for Luxaire® residential equipment here.
You can help your Luxaire® Certified Comfort Expert™ Contractor make maintenance visits fast and productive. Here you'll find tips on what to check and prepare before your contractor visits.
Before making a maintenance call, check this troubleshooting guide for tips on what may be happening with your HVAC system.